How much is an eye exam?
First of all, you should have an eye exam at least every two years, more often if your optometrist suggests so.
You can have an eye exam at different venues. An independent eye doctor, at the clinic or an optical retailer with a practiced optometrist. The average cost of an eye exam in the UK is £25.
Obviously, the cost of an eye exam can vary, based on where you live, if it’s your first time or if you have medical insurance with optical extras. It also depends on what kind of tests are going to be performed. If it’s just a ‘check-up’, the cost will be a lot less than an all inclusive eye exam.
There are different types of tests that can be included in an eye exam:
• A review of your personal and family health history and eye problems
• An eye pressure test and examination of the optic nerve (glaucoma-test)
• Examination of the interior of your eyes for eye problems such as cataracts or macular degeneration
• Evaluation of your distance and near vision with an eye chart
• Near vision testing for presbyopia
• Evaluation of your eyes' ability to ‘work together as a team’
Buy your prescription glasses easily online at SmartBuyGlasses.co.uk